by Greg Landry
NOTE: I realize this article may offend some people, but I believe that you need to hear the truth about weight loss rather than some watered down “feel-good” version of the truth!
I receive hundreds (yes, hundreds) of questions every month with this general theme… “HELP… I’m doing all the right things but I’m still not losing weight.” After talking to hundreds of these people over the years, I’ve come to a few general conclusions. Keep in mind that these are generalizations, but they would apply to over 95% of people in this situation. Also, please note that these ARE in order of importance…and I’m not pulling any punches! 🙂
1. The vast majority of these people (I call them “non-losers”) are not exercising anywhere near enough (if at all)! You can only decrease your caloric intake so much. Your other alternative is to increase your caloric expenditure. You can write this in stone… ** VERY FEW people are successful at losing weight AND keeping it off without exercising almost everyday!! If you’re having trouble losing weight, 20 minutes of exercise three times a week isn’t going to cut it! Most people who tell me they are *really serious* about losing weight are not willing to do what it takes to get where they want to be. If you’re not willing to make exercise a *serious* priority in your life, your chances of succeeding at losing weight and keeping it off are VERY small! Many of my clients who are serious about weight loss are exercising 1 to 2 hours per day. Many split it up and do some in the morning and some in the late afternoon or evening. If you’re having difficulty losing weight, I would recommend that you average at least 30 minutes *everyday*, ideally more.
2. Most “non-losers” that are exercising are not weight training. Weight training is *critical* to maintaining your muscle mass and tone. If you’re not weight training while trying to lose weight, you will lose muscle mass and tone and your basal metabolic rate will decrease causing you to burn fewer calories 24 hour-a-day!
3. “Non-losers” are actually consuming about 600 calories more per day than they think they are. Recent research with a large group of “non-losers” determined that they were significantly under-estimating the number of calories they were consuming on a daily basis. If you’re not sure, write down everything you eat for a few weeks.
4. “Non-losers” want *instant* results. When it doesn’t happen they either give up or go on some crazy diet. You HAVE to be resolved to the fact that it WILL be slow!
5. “Non-losers” are actually consuming more fat than they think they are. Limiting fat intake to 20 to 30 grams per day is critical for “non-losers”.
6. “Non-losers” are notorious for skipping meals! This is really bad news because it slows your metabolism causing you to burn fewer calories 24 hours-a-day.
7. “Non-losers” consume far too much sugar or simple / refined carbohydrates such as white rice, white (non whole wheat) flour products, white (non whole wheat) pastas, soft drinks (“pop” for you northerners), sweetened drinks, and the hundreds of products that contain addded sugar that’s deceptively listed on ingredient lists with names like sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, etc.
8. Some “non-losers” don’t want to give up their alcohol. Alchol is a triple whammy…it stimulates your appetite, slows your metabolism, and it’s loaded with calories! Enough said.
9. Many “non-losers” consume far too few fruits and vegetables.
10. Many “non-losers” always eat until they’re full. Practice stopping before you’re “full” and see how you feel 30 minutes later. You will probably feel satisfied by then.
11. Many “non-losers” consume artificial sweeteners which stimulate the pancreas to release insulin just like sugar would. Insulin causes your body to store fat and prohibits your body from burning fat for fuel.
12. Weight loss is VERY difficult! Simply put, If you don’t want it bad enough to do what it takes, it’s NOT going to happen. If you really want to lose weight, quit playing around with it. Get serious about it and make it an absolute, non-negotiable priority in your life… and it will happen! 🙂
By Greg Landry, M.S., Exercise Physiologist www.greglandryfitness.com
This article is supplied by MadeForSuccess.net, your source for discounts and special offers on motivational programs from Chris Widener, Zig Ziglar, Brian Tracy & other leading speakers. Click here to subscribe to the weekly “Made For Success” motivational eZine enjoyed by subscribers from over 100 countries. Receive bonus ebook “Totally Motivated” by Chris Widener by subscribing today, a $6 value.